Sexual Harassment in Public, Private, or the Workplace

Are you a Victim?

Are you being subjected to unwelcome sexual gestures or behaviour? Are you being subjected to sexually coloured remarks, physical contact and advances, shown pornography, or are sexual favours being demanded of you? If you have answered yes to any of these, you are a victim of sexual harassment.

What can you do?

Say no to such harassment. It will not stop on its own. File a written complaint with Anti-sexual harassment committee of your office and report to police.

The Law can help you fight for your rights:

  1. Section 294 of the IPC makes it punishable to make obscene acts and songs in public place.
  2. Section 354 of the IPC makes it an offence to assault or use criminal force to a woman with intent to outrage her modesty.
  3. Section 509 of the IPC makes it an offence to utter any word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman.
  4. The Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986 makes it punishable to represent woman in derogatory way.

How can we help you?

  1. The Police can take legal action as per law.
  2. An FIR can be registered against the offender(s) on the basis of your complaint or Sexual Harassment Committee of your office/organisation and culprits can be arrested and prosecuted.