Special Juvenile Police Unit shall perform the following functions:-
1. The Special Juvenile Police Unit and Child Welfare Police Officer at the Police Station will handle cases of both Juveniles in Conflict with Law (JICL) and Children in Need of Care and Protection (CNCP) and the Social Worker at the Special Juvenile Police Unit shall be the first line of intervention in all cases, as far as possible.
2. The Special Juvenile Police Unit shall coordinate and function as a watch-dog for providing legal protection against all kinds of cruelty, abuse and exploitation of children and report instances of non-compliance for further legal action.
3. The Special Juvenile Police Unit shall take serious cognizance of adult perpetrators of crimes against children and ensure that they are apprehended immediately and booked under the appropriate provisions of the law.
4. The Special Juvenile Police Unit shall ensure the registering; linking and monitoring of information regarding missing children received at the police station, and shall investigate immediately with the cooperation of Missing Person Squad, Crime Branch being Nodal Agency of Missing Person.
5. The Special Juvenile Police Units shall work with voluntary organisations, local governing bodies, community based organisations in identifying juveniles in conflict with law as well as reporting cases of violence against children, child neglect, child abuse and exploitation.
6. The Special Juvenile Police Unit shall maintain a list of NGOs/voluntary organisations in their respective jurisdiction, and shall monitor the activities to prevent all crimes against children specifically trafficking, illegal adoption and detention of children.
7. The Special Juvenile Police Unit to establish & maintain contacts with experts from various fields with the right credentials for their assistance/cooperation in child related matters, as and when required.